Voluntary Prekindergarten (VPK) is a free, state-funded
program designed to prepare children for kindergarten by building the
foundation for their educational success. Children must be 4 years of age on or before September 1 of the school
year in which they are enrolling.
Guided by the Florida Early
Learning and Developmental Standards for four year olds, the program includes
developmentally appropriate activities in literacy, language, science, social
studies, math, health and safety, art, and music. Opportunities are provided for social and
physical development through circle time, choice time, dramatic play, and
Classrooms are staffed with certified teachers and/or
Child Development Associates. Classes
range in size from 18 to 20 students.
Some classes are blended to include students with exceptional student
Children are assessed through observation and the Florida
VPK Assessment on
a regular basis to help all children succeed and to guide the planning of
appropriate early childhood learning experiences. Families may follow
their child’s development using the FOURS Child Development Checklist & Tips booklet.
- VPK is a free, 540 hour program during the school year
and is available at many elementary schools. Students attend free
for three hours each day, Monday through Friday.
- VPK + 3 extends the VPK day an additional 3 hours so students
attend for the full 6 hour school day. Tuition is $65 per week and a non-refundable
registration fee of $91 is due at the time of registration. This fee will be used for the last two weeks’
tuition at the end of the program.
- Dual Language VPK is available at
Elementary. At this location, students
spend half the day learning the curriculum in English and half the day learning
the curriculum in Spanish. Many students
in this program apply for the K-5 dual language program at the school.
- At select locations, the VPK+3 program is supported with Title 1 funding. For qualifying families at these schools, students do not pay tuition.
For more information, download our VPK flyer in the following languages:
- Kings Highway Early Childhood Center is located at the Kings Highway Center for Innovation and Digital Learning. At this location, there are several early childhood programs, including VPK, housed in one section of the school. In addition to the regular VPK program, students receive violin instruction twice a week and have additional technology in the classrooms.
To register, please bring the following
documents to the school:
•Proof of Residency (2 forms of
•Certificate of Eligibility
Certificate of Eligibility (Voucher)
All students must have a Certificate of Eligibility
(voucher) to attend the school year or summer VPK program. The voucher is issued through the Early
Learning Coalition and families may apply online or call 727-400-4411 to
make an appointment. Along with the
application, families must provide proof of the child’s age and residency.
301 4th Street SW
Largo, FL, 33779